- 1 kilo red onions, sliced thinly
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 100 grams brown sugar
- 200 ml red wine
- 150 ml red wine vinegar or Apple cider vinegar
- 50 ml Balsamic Vinegar
- Pinch of salt
- Sprig of rosemary
- Slice onions as thinly as possible and add to a large pot with two tablespoons of olive oil and two peeled and crushed (but whole) cloves of garlic.
- Saute the onions slowly for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Now add the brown sugar and stir in well ensuring an even coating.
- Continue to saute at a low to nedium heat for 20 minutes, allowing the onions to caremalize, again stir occasionally making sure they don’t burn.
- Now add the wine, red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, salt and the whole sprig of rosemary.
- Simmer for around one hour until almost all of the liquid has evaporated.
- Turn off the heat, remove the sprig of rosemary and jar while hot in stelilized Jars.
This is a perfect accompaniment for a strong cheese on a cracker or brown bread. Also super tasty as a sandwich condiment or as side for cold cuts!