ARE YOU LOOKING FOR HIGH-PROTEIN VEGAN LUNCH & DINNER IDEAS? THEN, YOU ARE IN THE RIGHT PLACE
This protein-packed Mediterranean Tofu One Tray Bake with quinoa, edamame beans and rosemary is filling and delicious. Make a big batch ahead of the week to enjoy a stress-free and healthy lunch or dinner.
It can stay in the fridge for up to three days and contains 28 grams of protein per serving!
I am constantly looking for ways to pack more plant protein and flavour into my high protein vegan meals. Why? Because it keeps me full throughout a day and eliminates any need for snacking.
If you ask yourself how to eat a lot of protein as a vegan and wonder how vegans get 80 grams of protein per day, then you will enjoy this recipe.
WHAT ARE HIGH PROTEIN VEGAN FOODS IN THIS DISH
100 grams of quinoa contain 13 grams of vegan protein. Some other great sources of plant protein in this recipe are chickpeas (19 grams/100 grams), broad beans (8 grams/100 grams), tofu (8 grams/100 grams) and Brussel sprouts (3.5 grams/ 100 grams).
HOW TO COOK THIS MEDITERRANEAN TOFU ONE-TRAY BAKE
Pre-heat the oven: to 250 Celsius
Prep ingredients: Firstly, wash vegetables and pat-dry them. Then, cut tofu into cubes, shallots in halves and lemon into quarters.
Season: Transfer all ingredients onto a baking tray, including lemon and fresh rosemary sprigs. Next, spray the ingredients with oil and season with chilli and salt.
Bake: Lastly, bake for about 40 minutes until all ingredients turn gold.
Cook Quinoa: In the meantime, cook quinoa as per the instruction on the package.
Mix: Mix with cooked quinoa and season to taste.
PRO CHEF TIPS
- Freeze tofu and then defrost it before cooking for a more solid and chicken-like texture. Squeeze to remove excess water before baking. Freezing does miracles to your tofu.
- Add greens of your liking such as kale or spinach for additional flavor.
- Add more spices if you like because they are great for digestion: ginger, cloves, cardamon will work great in this recipe.
WHAT I DO NOT SUGGEST YOU REPLACE
- Do not add more of any type of oil to your dish. It is going to drive the energetic value of this high-protein vegan lunch way up. It may get out of control.
HOW TO MEAL PREP
- I usually make anywhere from four to six servings of this Mediterranean Tofu One Tray Bake ahead of the week. This keeps myself and my partner going for three days.
- For your high-protein vegan meal prep, just follow the recipe. Store the bake in airtight containers and refrigerate for up to three days.
Mediterranean Tofu One Tray Bake
- 1/2 Lemon cut into quarters
- 500 grams Brussel Sprouts
- 200 grams Chickpeas boiled or canned
- 150 grams Shallots peeled and halved
- 300 grams Broad Beans fresh or frozen
- 750 grams Tofu frozen and defrosted
- 4 sprays Oil Spray for oil-free cooking
- 4 sprigs Rosemary fresh
- 1/4 tsp Chilli Flakes
- 1 tsp Salt
To Serve With
- 200 grams Quinoa raw
- Pre-heat the oven: to 250 Celsius
- Prep ingredients: Firstly, wash vegetables and pat-dry them. Then, cut tofu into cubes, shallots in halves and lemon into quarters.
- Season: Transfer all ingredients onto a baking tray, including lemon and fresh rosemary sprigs. Next, spray the ingredients with oil and season with chilli and salt.
- Bake: Lastly, bake for about 40 minutes until all ingredients turn gold.
- Cook Quinoa: In the meantime, cook quinoa as per the instruction on the package.
- Mix: Mix with cooked quinoa and season to taste.
WHO IS THIS RECIPE FOR
My recipes are designed to feed into my high-protein vegan meal plans that offer anywhere from 60 to 100 grams of plant-based protein and 1,600 kcal a day, and include recipes for breakfast, lunch, smoothie/snack, and dinner.
This way, I can still have some calories left for a glass of wine or a sneaky snack if I wish to.
If you are trying to lose weight on high protein diet, you may want to stick to 1,600 kcal meal plan as it is. Yes, it is more than your usual 1,500 kcal diet plan but dieting is not a competition.
The slower you go, the more sustainable the results will be. Sorry folks – there is no magic diet plan that will allow you to effectively shed 5 kg in a week and not regain it in the following month.
If you are building muscles on plant-based diet, you can use my recipes as your base and double the quantity or add more protein-rich ingredients that I describe in WHAT ARE HIGH PROTEIN VEGAN FOODS IN THIS DISH section.
No more scrolling through multiple websites, wasting precious time on meal planning and writing shopping lists.
WHY SHOULD EVERYONE MEAL PLAN
Well-planned meals mean less waste, less hassle, and more time to spend with the ones you care about throughout the week. You also save money and make sure to stick to your goals!
Plus, in the long-term, I hope that my meal plans will help you transition to mindful and intuitive eating.
ABOUT THE PROTEIN IN YOUR DIET
If you are vegan or vegetarian do not fear of getting too little protein in your diet. You are most likely getting enough of it.
If you have any doubts, listen to this episode of a video series produced by Michael Greger, M.D. FACLM, founder of NutritionFacts.org, an evidence-based nutrition portal.
However, plant-protein-rich food will keep you full for longer in comparison to a bowl of plain carbs and will make appetite control easier.