More-ish feta tart with bell pepper, thyme and black olives.
Cooking time: 60 minutes
- Round baking tin – 20 cm. diamater
- Parchment paper
- 1 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tbsp yogurt or cream
- 250 g cold butter, cut in cubes
- Pinch of salt
- Plastic bag for wrapping
- 100 g feta
- 1 cup of Greek yogurt
- 1 egg
- 1 big red bell pepper, sliced in long thin strips
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- Handful of black olives, pitted and sliced in half
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, grated
- Olive oil for frying
- Black pepper
Step I – Pastry
- Combine flour, starch and butter and knead the dough until it becomes smooth. Wrap it in a plastic bag and refrigerate for about two hours.
- After this time, take it out from the fridge, unwrap and knead again. Roll it out and transfer to a baking tray. Pinch it with fork, cover with baking paper and spread some beans or chickpea on top to prevent it from rising too much.
- Bake for about 20 minutes at 180C or until light brown.
Step II – Filling
- As the pastry is in the making, heat the pan and add a splash of olive oil.
- Fry onions and bell peppers until tender.
- In a big bowl, mix feta, yogurt, grated garlic, chopped thyme, fried onions and peppers.
- After 20 minutes of baking the pastry, take it out of the oven, remove beans and a layer of parchment paper and fill with the feta stuffing.
- Put back in the oven and bake for another 20 minutes at 200 C.
- Let it cool down before serving.